10GreedyMen.com

Official Forum for the Ten Greedy Men trading group

You are not connected. Please login or register

Strategy - Time Based Profit Targets

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Strategy - Time Based Profit Targets on Sun May 17, 2015 12:52 am

Just wanted to share something that I have found successful when trading - time based profit targets.  

What I typically do is set profit targets that increase as time goes on, for example, if a stock hits 10% in 2 weeks, take profit, but if not, next profit target is 15% in a month, and if not next target is 20% in 2 months, and maybe 30% in 6 months.  This has an interesting effect on annualized returns.  For example, if you take 10% profits in 2 weeks, over a year, those profits are annualized as 260% (26 2-week periods x 10% = 260%).  

A lot of stocks have the potential to gain 10% in 2 weeks, but not a lot of stocks have the potential to gain 260% in a year.  Thus, a potential to lock in 260% annualized gains on as many stocks as possible, using these numbers.

Optimally, the historical chart of a stock will be analyzed to determine probable time based profit targets.

For example, for WFM, one may use:

and shoot a few percent above this, say 8% in 30 days, 15% in 60 days, and settle for 20% in 90 days and maybe take all profits shortly after that if target not reached.

Anyways, for my trading systems, I usually don't look at the charts too carefully initially, and just set 10% 2-1/2 week targets, 15% 1 month targets, and 20% 6 month targets, but I'll monitor picks and adjust targets as the charts dictate if the picks are getting close.  For example, I may have a 15% 1 month target, but if it gets there in 5-6 weeks, I may just take it depending on what the chart looks like for that particular stock.  15% in 6 weeks is still 130% annualized and may be worth it.

Bonus:  some stocks reach their targets faster than the targets I set.  For example, I've had stocks reach 10% profits in 1 day.  250 trading days/year x 10% = 2,500% annualized!  I don't expect this all the time obviously, but it is nice when it happens.  

Results: What I have found is that by using this strategy, the returns for my intermediate term trading portfolio the last few years have been in the 30-60% range.  I have had lots of losers and some stocks with sideways action, but the total returns have been in that range.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum