10GreedyMen.com

Official Forum for the Ten Greedy Men trading group

You are not connected. Please login or register

Running an experiment with a $3,000 account on Tradeking

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

New record $3296.54. Goal was $3166.67 by July 17th - so far so good. $1 million, here I come! Haha!

View user profile
Sold off NUGT at 6.91 fro
6.60 buy, 250 shares. Still holding uslv at loss.

View user profile
Tempted to load the USLV truck to bring down average for profitable trade.  Don't like having all eggs in one basket though.

View user profile
Haven't done anything yet.  Nothing on my list moving too much and I'm being patient and opportunistic (need something to flat out tank).  Was thinking about DWTI as a contratian move to my main account.  I figure, if it dives, I win in the main account.  If it rises, then at least my $3K account goes up, but I need to stop thinking like that.  Just do what is best.  Feeling confident about my 17-JUL goal and with some cash on hand for anything that dives deep.

View user profile
bought 121 shares of USLV premarket 14.40, and dang, just realized i dipped into margin account by $1.53.  Should have bought 120 shares, but did the calc too quick without thinking of commission.

Oh well, errors will be made here and there.  Anyways, sell order at $16.12 for all 222 shares averaged at 15.36.  May end up selling for all my shares (222 at 15.36 average) for a loss if the situation presents itself (thinking 14.75).  Just realized after I bought that silver keeps tanking.  Hopefully recovers.  Dangers of putting all eggs in one basket.  May end up calling it a day if I get back to the monthly $166.67 goal by 17-JUL and chalk it up as lessons learned.

View user profile
I was thinking that technically, my goal for month number 1 should be $130.50, not $166.67.  Since 3000*(1.0435)^12 = $5,000 (year 1 goal).  So for month 1, my goal should be $3,000*.0435 = $130.50.  So despite taking a beating on Silver, I am still ahead.  I was hoping to be way ahead, but oh well.  Will take experience forward to month 2.  Good news is that mistakes were made and still ahead of schedule and I still have a couple of days to go. 

Calculating out goal for month 2.  $3130.50*.0430 = $136.18.

View user profile
Thinking of selling off half the silver at $14.43.  Would be a loss, but I want to lock in on goal for month 1.

View user profile
Well, it's official, I sold all my uslv for only 14.15 (I'm sure it will be up 100% tomorrow morning, haha) for a big loss, but the important thing is locking in meeting my monthly goal of $3,130.50 before July 17th.   I started month #1 on June 17th so I will start month #2 on July 17th (tomorrow).

I'm officially calling this 1 month now and taking a breather overnight before initiating any more trades.

My total account value is now $3,134.73, so I beat my goal by $4.23.  Not much, but glad to meet the goals.

Next month's goal is to hit $3,266.68, or a gain of $131.95.

My thoughts and lessons learned from month 1:

1.  Do not put all your eggs in one basket.
2.  After beating monthly goal, implement measures to protect the goal at all costs.  Stop losses, trailing stops, always keep 50% in cash, etc.
3.  Glad to have beat my goal despite the mistakes.  But need to reduce these, and I made some bad ones with Silver.
4.  $3,000 is really hard to work with in terms of number of positions that I could buy.  Month 2 should be slightly easier (but not much) with $3,134.73.  Most of month 1 was 2 positions max.  Month 2, will try 3 positions of $1035 for flexibility.  Downside is commission eats a little more of each trade.  
5.  Need a better plan for why I am entering positions.  Not just, "hmmm, it is down for the day, what the heck, I'm buying!".
6.  Avoid the under $2/stock trade commisisons on tradeking.
7. Need to be better about when to take losses. One loser shouldn't wipe out 5 winners.

Some stats for month 1:

Number of positions entered: 8
Number of times sell orders executed: 7
Total Commissions and fees paid: $83.09 (yipes!)
Total Proits after commissions: $134.73
Best Trade:  Bought 500 shares UWTI $3.35, Sold for $3.61.
Total Profitable trades (when selling, sometimes combined positions): 6
Total Losing trades: 1  (one big giant almost $300 silver loser!)

View user profile
For tomorrow, my eyes are on Oil, Gold Miners, and Silver are on my list, borrowing from the 3x system. May buy all 3 in equal increments. Or depending on the action, may buy 2 and keep a cash position on hand.

View user profile
Bought all 3 at open today, silver, gold miner, and oil. 1/3 each.

View user profile
Finally sold something.  70 shares USLV from 13.86 to 15.25 (premarket).  10% gain.

Just need NUGT and UWTI to do something.

View user profile
Bought 900 shares UWTI at 1.19 with my silver winnings.

View user profile
Just for the record, experiment not doing so good right now (down about $500!), but commodities appear to have turned the corner.  Finally got rid of silver for a 10% gain.  Hopefully, gold miners continue up and then oil follows.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum